It was great 4 days full of creative ideas, experiments, and weird randomly generated sounds. To me, I was interested mostly in training larger some data set and generating something from it. So I joined a team with an idea to generate Fictional Constitutions from data of some existing constitutions.
Our project had three parts:
However – I understand very roughly how the whole machine learning thing works, and I realized some stuff during these four days:
I mentioned that it's great that there is a lot of open-source stuff to help with training our datasets. So I want this to remind me to check whatever I use for possible vulnerabilities.
Since we started with Orbit and the whole idea of open-sourcing our design system, I've started with checking what is happening in the open-source community around design. Almost immediately, I realized that there is so much space. And this Twitter thread sums it up pretty well.
I'm exploring how the design community can offer help to open source projects. But when I view the listings at @opensourcedesign it's a bit frustrating as most teams see design help as edge cases confined to logos, icons, and badges. pic.twitter.com/S6h0Ne4z32— Scott Jenson (@scottjenson) July 27, 2019
This week was a lot about design tools for me, a lot of new updates and great article I found on Twitter. Check my Twitter thread with the best picks:
“We use terms like “canvas” and “artboard” like what we’re doing will hang on the wall of a museum some day behind a red velvet rope.”— Jan Toman (@HonzaTmn) July 22, 2019
Twitter released a new design last week globally. And it was followed by so much hate. Don't believe? Check #newTwitter hashtag 🤦♂️
But to be honest – I like this new Twitter. Yes, there are still some issues, but they finally brought two essential features to the desktop:
Another thing I like to see is that someone was able to actually release some big project written in React Native. Hopefully, they will share somewhere their journey.
However, back to my one-time side project. I mentioned that there are still some issues – for me, it was mostly about super-large typography even on the smallest settings. So I fixed it with writing my first Chrome Extension – Polished Twitter.
I published it on Chrome Web Store (because why not) – and after a few days, there is exactly one user who uses it. Me. Not a big deal though, it was created for my needs :-)